- Simply put, WordPress is a free software for making websites.
- It is written collaboratively by thousands of developers across the globe.
- It’s completely free. Because WordPress is an Open Source software.
- Interestingly, WordPress powers over 35.2% of all the websites on the Internet. That’s really massive.
- On a slightly more technical level, WordPress is open-source content management.
What Kinds of Websites can WordPress Make?
- WordPress was primarily a tool to create a blog
- However, WordPress is so advanced now, you can build any kind of websites using WordPress
So with WordPress, you can create:
- Business websites
- eCommerce stores
- Coupon Sites
- Social networks
- Membership sites
- pretty much anything else you can dream up.
Why WordPress is very Popular?
- WordPress is open source and completely free. You can download it from https://wordpress.org/download/
- It is extremely easy to install and use
- It is accessible and user-friendly
- It is extensible via Plugins and Themes
- It works on all screen sizes and devices
- You can build any kind of website you dream up
- With large and friendly WordPress community, it’s easy to find WordPress help.
How to build Websites using WordPress?
- First, you should get a domain name from Namecheap.com
- Then, get a hosting from SiteGround.com
- Now, install WordPress on to your SiteGround hosting
- Add necessary plugins, themes and configure your website
- Boom! Your website is now live and anyone can view your website
Don’t worry, if the above steps seems complicated. In this WordPress 101 series, we’ll explain how WordPress works and we’ll guide your thorough building your website step by step.
Estimated Time: 60 minutes